Aglongon, Maludlud and Sublangon

Today Angie and Pastor Sheldon will be updating you on what the team has experienced so far this week.

Aglongon and Maludlud

What an honour it was for us to hike into the mountains and visit two indigenous communities. The hikes were challenging, to say the least, but the reward of the fellowship we received upon arrival was unsurpassed! We even stayed overnight in bamboo houses, so graciously hosted by the church members in Aglongon. On Tuesday morning we made the journey to a neighboring mountain to visit a very isolated village called Maludlud, and again we were struck with the beauty of the place and the people. In total we hiked about 12km over these two days, encountering steep rocky terrain, heavy mud, heat, rain, water buffalo!! and more beauty than was even possible to behold. To sum up what I felt, I have written a short verse.


God in the Mud

In the straining on the steepness of the hill, sweat stinging my eyes, I see God,
In the rice paddies of deepest green, and abundance, I see God.
In the lushness of the jungle, sliding down narrow muddy paths, I see God.
In the humble house made of bamboo, with language barriers broken down by love, I see God.
In the deepest night, shrouded by darkness and shaken by deafening claps of thunder, I see God.
In the dark shining eyes, and smiles as wide as the horizon, I see God.
In the bowls of steaming rice offered with unsurpassed hospitality, I see God.
In the laughter and shared tears, in bonds that form in fleeting hours, in the holding of hands and the bowing of heads, I see God.



Visiting Sublangon




This morning we were greeted in Sublangon with cheers of celebration and a beautiful banner made just for the occasion. Some 75 children along with volunteers and family members sang out to us, 'There's a welcome here, 
There's a welcome here, 
There's a Christian welcome here '. For one more day, we have been welcomed with amazing hospitality and love.
When the noontime meal was served, our Filipino friends felt that it was most gracious for us to eat with a fork and spoon and have our own plate. But some of our 
group joined in on the Filipino style food serving called boodle. Forget the cutlery here!

John and I had a wonderful opportunity to pray with two Filipino men who long to grow their men's ministry in Sublangon. They see the need to invest in men, who in their words often walk at the periphery of their church life. Please pray for a growing men's ministry.


I have learned a new sentence in Ilongo, the dialect of the region in which we are serving. 
Palanga ko ang amoon simbahan. The meaning is
'I love my church'. I feel privileged to serve with this amazing team of people from MCBC!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SENT and Received!